Ok I know I have been posting a whole slew of things today, but after being
away for so long,
I just have to put the questions in my head to rest..

pardon me

I understand Vyatta has firewalling capability, but a pity I don't have a
spare machine right now to test it, but is it sufficient?
Does it do IDS too? How much of a performance hit would I expect? 50% more?

Maybe I am being greedy (or stingy, depends on how you look at it), but I am
thinking if I could cut some cost and implement them all in one box

Lastly, for today, I am planning to do a active-passive setup, meaning 2
boxes of Vyatta, so as to achieve a roll-over if one goes down.
Right now, my datacenter is suggesting that they can handle that part for me
by having an additional line pulled to the 2nd router and if they detect a
failure (failed ping), they will auto-rollover.

Anyway to get Vyatta to handle that, in a cluster mode or something.. maybe
using Heartbeat?
Because considering Vyatta is an application, I am worried the situation
whereby the service hung, but it responds to ICMP request...

I saw that happening before (with regular web servers). So am not sure if
this is a valid worry?

Thanks again!
Daren