Daren,

The performance impact of firewall filters is really dependent on
traffic load, number of rules, etc.  IDS is on our list of to do items.,
but you could apt-get snort from the debian repository until we get it
officially integrated.

For a dual router setup, I think you are simply looking for two boxes
running VRRP between them.  Each box would then have a route to your
upstream provider.

Cheers,
Robert.