This is true, but in a half-duplex environment, collisions dont'
cause much of a performance drop, as when one side detects a
collision, it will send a jamming signal to the other side so it will
shut up and traffic can continue. If one side is half and the other
is full, the jamming signal is ignored and the two will continue to
try to talk over each other and traffic creaps to a halt. A device
that is HD will clear the collision counter it generated every time a
frame is successfully transmitted after a jam signal is sent, so you
generally don't see collision counters on a HD device, if it is
working in accordance to the ethernet specs. That's CSMA/CDs nifty
little trick to keep you from panicking when you see your error
counters in a network that is supposed to have collisions (well, not
supposed to I guess, but *will* :-))

Aubrey Wells
Senior Engineer
Shelton | Johns Technology Group