Well vyatta will need to create partitions - 3 of them if I remember right
(depending on your current config).

you'll need:
root - for vyatta
swap - if not already there from your Ubuntu install
config - storage area for configs (minimum of 10 MB)

Since you've got 2 partitions at least - most likely 3 already, you'll want
to put the vyatta partitions in an extended partition.

My suggestion would be to partition your drive with the needed partitions
for vyatta prior to attempting to install vyatta on your hard disk via
"install-system".

ALSO - you will need to back up your MBR as well as your menu.lst config
file for GRUB.  Most likely, it will be easiest to edit your original
menu.lst file by hand and paste in the config entries for vyatta by hand
using your Ubuntu install.
I've done many dual/triple/quad/and on boots just for fun when starting out
with Linux(es) and I'd be happy to help you out.  If you want, I'll allow
you to chat with me via my googletalk to figure things out.

I'd be happy to chat it over with you and then release the contents in an
outline form to the vyatta mailing list.  This is my chance to help out the
vyatta guys who try to diagnose my hardware compatibility issues!

Mike

On 9/26/07, saptarshi moitra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> hi everyone
>
> I am a novice when it comes to running Vyatta.
> I want to install Vyatta onto the hard drive of my system ( a sony vaio
> laptop ) . as per the instructions available on the Vyatta configuration
> manual , i booted from the vyatta CD and then logged in with the user name
> as 'root' . then when i type in 'install-system'  it shows me only a single
> drive of 60000 bytes.
> mylaptop hard disk has three partitions .. 27gb for ubuntu , 10gb for
> windows and the rest is an unformatted drive where i want to install vyatta
> . but this partition does not show up . can anybody please tell me how i can
> install Vyatta on this third drive ?

//  Silvertip257  //