Juan Aguilar

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dave
Roberts
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:01 PM
To: 'Daren Tay'; vyatta-users@mailman.vyatta.com
Subject: Re: [Vyatta-users] Prevent root ssh login, but allow shell
access?

If the box is publicly accessible, there is no way to prevent users from
trying to login to it. There are bots that try a whole bunch of default
passwords on every publicly accessible box they can find. The ssh daemon
will dutifully log all access attempts. My Fedora box at home generates
the same sorts of log messages all the time.

Your only defenses are to:

1. Remove the box from the Internet.

2. Set up some firewall rules that block access for ssh from the
Internet side if you don't want it to be accessible there.

3. Or just make sure you use good passwords for all accounts.

In the case of the specific log message you show below, I'd note that
the bot is trying an unknown user name (something like "bob") that you
don't have on your box. It's probably a default account of some sort for
a known exploit.

Rule #1 before connecting *anything* to the Internet (whether Vyatta,
Red Hat, Debian, or a Windows box)--change *all* the default passwords
locally. With Vyatta, this is fairly simple and can be done with just a
couple of commands before you even set an IP address for any interface.
In fact, I think I did this exact thing in the screen cam demo of Vyatta
on the web site (yes, I'm the guy who can't type ;-).

-- Dave