I'm just a beginner with configuring routers, servers, and working with that
type of equipment, so I'm asking for help and wisdom from those who have it.

I have a small computer that's otherwise relatively worthless as a desktop
machine with a GUI, so I chose to make it my Vyatta box.  It's an HP
Pavilion 6535, for your reference.  It does not have an onboard NIC, but it
does have 3 PCI slots.

I bought two Phobos P430 Quad-port Fast-Ethernet PCI NICs that I'd like to
use.  I read up on them and Linux driver support prior to the purchase and
read that after (I believe kernel 2.2) the driver (tuilip.o) was built into
the Linux kernel.  At this point I'm having issues with those cards,
although I'm trying to get only one of them configured in this machine.

I planned on designating my WAN port with a single port NIC with a Realtek
8139 chipset (fully supported by Linux - 8139too driver).  There's no
problem with this one, but I need to mention it.

Now that I've mentioned the hardware, now I'll summarize as much as I can my
situation/what I think is going on:

Since I bought the quad-port NICs used, I figure I was sold a toasted one
and [possibly] one that works.  One of them has a system resource conflict
that I have tried to resolve by modifying IRQs and the like.  The other
seems not to cause any reason for the system to hand after/during POST, but
it does not show up when I run "lspci" in terminal like the other card when
I tell it to ignore the problem and boot.

One note on Phobos, yes I realize that company is not in business anymore
under that name, but they are now known as AEI [http://www.aei-it.com/].  Of
course they changed their name and chipsets that they use in their product
line, but the naming convention is relatively the same - be forewarned, I
confused myself when I found them (thinking I had something I did not
chipset-wise).

Here's the most important section (disregarding trivial onboard chips) of
"lspci":
//
01:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
01:0e.0 PCI bridge: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21152 (rev 03)
02:04.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43
(rev 41)
02:05.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43
(rev 41)
02:06.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43
(rev 41)
02:07.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43
(rev 41)
//

I hope there are some server room veterans that can give me some insight.
I'm not all too sure that any of the cards are toast, but I've got a feeling
about the one.  My diagnosis should not be the final diagnosis at this time.

Please, please help me ... if I could get one of these cards working in my
rig, I could technically have a wonderful rig to apply concepts and theory
from class [I'm a networking student].

Mike

--
//  Silvertip257  //