Hi,
I'm having this really frustrating problem where occasionally I will add an ip/network to vyatta, or delete an ip and readd it to the same interface with a different prefix-length or move it to a different interface (with a commit in between) and vyatta will not recognize that the ip/network has been added.

For instance, this evening, I was attempting to add 8.17.X.253 /30 to interface eth1 on vif 1180. If i look at the system routing table, it is added on the correct interface and traffic passes to the host on the other side. But if I do a "show route" in vyatta the subnet is not there and as such, if I try to point a static route at it, the route instead gets added to whatever my default route is. for example:

set protocols static route 1.2.3.0/8 next-hop 8.17.X.254

that gets added to the config file fine, but a "show route" shows it having a next hop of my default route. The system routing table does the same. Also, I cannot delete this route from the config without doing it by hand with VI and rebooting (says the route doesnt exist).

Also, I tried to remove 8.17.X.113 /28 and readd it as 8.17.X.113 / 27. I removed the ip, commited, and readded it. The subnet didnt show up in the vyatta routing table after a commit but it was in the system routing table (route -n). Traffic passed just fine.

When I commit those changes, I see this in the messages log:

Nov 4 01:49:47 vyatta xorp_fea: [ 2007/11/04 01:49:47 WARNING xorp_fea FEA ] Got update for address no in lib
feaclient tree: eth0.1180/eth0.1180/8.17.X.253

Nov 4 01:49:47 vyatta xorp_fea: [ 2007/11/04 01:49:47 WARNING xorp_fea FEA ] Got update for address no in lib
feaclient tree: eth1.54/eth1.54/8.17.X.113

If I save the config, and reboot the box, the configuration loads up just fine and all my subnets/routes are correct. This is not a solution, as this is my core router in a fast-growing network and I cant go around rebooting it every time I add a subnet.

I'm running the last VC3 beta. (I havent upgraded to VC3 release because I didnt want to reboot the box without scheduling a window.... heh)

This also happened in VC2.2. I'm not 100% sure about weather or not it happens on a PHY, but I think it did, although most of my stuff is on VIFs.

Please help!

Oh, and is there a way to get it to dump and reload the config from scratch without rebooting? These DELL's have a horrendous POST time because of the RAID, DRAC, and BMC BIOSes that all have to load (plus the overhead of checking 8G of memory)!

Aubrey Wells
Senior Engineer
Shelton | Johns Technology Group
A Vyatta Ready Partner