Ryan,

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Ryan Dewhurst<ryandewhu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/6/10 Andres Riancho <andres.rian...@gmail.com>:
>> Stefano, All,
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Stefano Di Paola<wi...@wisec.it> wrote:
>>> Guys,
>>> Sorry for getting into the middle of this thread without knocking...

>>> I know is a bit out of scope with the actual implementation of the
>>> wordpress_fingerprint plugin, but I just finished reading this
>>> interesting post:
>>>
>>> Web App Version detection using fingerprinting
>>> http://sucuri.net/?page=docs&title=webapp-version-detection
>>
>> Also related, and from the same guys:
>> http://sucuri.net/index.php?page=docs&title=state-wordpress-security
>>

> Here he says that the readme.html bears the wordpress version, however
> this is not always true.
>
> http://sucuri.net/?page=docs&title=wordpress-hardening
>
> Here is what I found:
>
> 2.7.1 shows 2.7
> 2.7 shows 2.7
> 2.6.5 shows 2.6.1
> 2.6.3 shows 2.6.1
> 2.6.2 shows 2.6.1
> 2.6.1 shows 2.6.1
> 2.6 shows 2.6
> 2.5.1 shows 2.5
> 2.5 shows 2.5
> 2.3.3 shows 2.3
> 2.3.2 shows 2.3
> 2.3.1 shows 2.3
> 2.3 shows 2.3
> 2.2.3 shows 2.2
>
> As you can see it is not a reliable source for fingerprinting the
> wordpress version.

But it's one more source of "version information", I think it should
be added and properly documented in the same way that you explain in
this email. In the best case scenario, the user would have three
information objects in the kb:

- One with the fingerprinted version that says "2.7.1"
- One with the readme.html version that says "2.7"
- One with the index.php header information that says "2.7.1"

If in one case we see something like readme.html=="2.6" and
fingerprinted version=="2.7.1", maybe we can report to the user that
this is a 2.6 version that was upgraded to 2.7.1? Just ideas that
should be researched a little more and maybe implemented into code.

Cheers,