Patrick,

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Patrick Hof<patrick...@web.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it's awfully quiet on the list. Is everyone in Vegas? ;)

not me :(

> I've attached a patch which adds black- and whitelist functionality to w3af,
> be able to restrict the scanning. This is a merge of my own code and Zach
> Jansen's code, which he posted to the list on July 7th and which I didn't see
> before I started coding... If you'd be so kind to review and test this, I
> would
> be glad. The tests I did seemed to work.

I'll test it later tonight and I'll let you know if I commit it to the
trunk or not.

> My code (hopefully) improves his by adding support for more than one regex and
> also the ability to switch to wildcard mode, which is easier to type but less
> powerful. The first improvement comes with a problem though: As Python
> interprets commas as list item separators, you currently can't use commas in
> your regex. Maybe someone has an idea on how to solve this elegantly.

\, ?

> There's still the problem remaining that this patch will "break" some of
> the passive discovery plugins as Zach alredy wrote, like the ones using
> Archive.org or Google. Before I go and implement it, I wanted to discuss what
> have come up with. I can think of two options at the moment:
>
> 1. Add a static list to the whitelisting code with all the URLs we do not want
>   to restrict. Not a good solution IMHO, as the users' decision gets overriden
>   without their knowledge. Maybe they really want to restrict requests to
> Google.

If that's the case, they shouldn't be enabling the "google" plugin, right? =)

> 2. Add an "override whitelist" config item to all plugins affected. Allow the
>   user to decide if this plugin should be allowed to bypass the whitelist.
> This
>   would save the user the hassle to add a whitelisting to the config, as he
> only
>   has to set a tick.

And this should be a plugin level config or an HTTP level config?

> Are there any other solutions I'm missing?

Maybe, but I'm too tired to think right now. Maybe after having lunch
I'll be able to connect two thoughts together =)

Cheers,

> Patrick
>
> --
> The Plague: You wanted to know who I am, Zero Cool? Well, let me explain
>            the New World Order. Governments and corporations need people
>            like you and me. We are Samurai... the Keyboard Cowboys... and
>            all those other people who have no idea what's going on are
>            the cattle... Moooo.
> (Hackers)

Andrés Riancho
Founder, Bonsai - Information Security