Dear Friend,

The Supreme Court recently dealt a huge blow to civil rights
protections by making it nearly impossible for employees to challenge
pay discrimination. More than forty years after the passage of the
Civil Rights Act of 1964 -- which was supposed to help level the
playing field in the workplace -- Black men still make 75 cents for
every dollar that White men make, and Black women make only 68 cents.
One of the reasons the gap persists is discriminatory pay.

Now, Congress is considering the Fair Pay Restoration Act, which would
reinstate the long-standing wage-discrimination protections just
gutted by the Supreme Court. The bill passed the House along party
lines, but is stalled in the Senate. I've signed on with
ColorofChange.org to tell my Senator to support it. Will you join us?

http://www.colorofchange.org/fairpay/?id=2224-512869

Under the Civil Rights Act, employees must challenge an act of
discrimination within 180 days. Until now, courts had treated each
discriminatory paycheck as a discriminatory act. But late last year,
in Ledbetter v. Goodyear, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that only the
initial decision to pay an employee less can be considered, meaning
they'd have to file suit within 180 days of being hired at
discriminatory wages or being given a discriminatory raise.

Most employees don't discover they are being discriminated against for
much longer than that -- discussing wages with co-workers is illegal
in some states, and many employers have strict policies against it.
The decision also creates an incentive for employers to hide
discrimination, knowing that if they get away with it for 180 days,
they can never be held accountable.

The Fair Pay Restoration Act would correct the Supreme Court's
decision by clarifying that each new discriminatory paycheck
constitutes a discriminatory act. We shouldn't have to pass
legislation just to keep our civil rights protections real and
effective, as Congress originally intended them. But unfortunately, we
do.

I've joined with ColorofChange.org to tell my senator to support the
Fair Pay Restoration Act, can you take a few moments and do the same?

http://www.colorofchange.org/fairpay/?id=2224-512869

Thanks.