I have an iMac Special Edition (graphite) at the moment, but I want to take
into account that I'll be upgrading over the next 6 months to whatever the
latest desktop is at the time. I don't suppose that'll matter much anyway.
The only consideration that I can think of is that a new Mac will probably
have DVD-R capability, and therefore backing up to a series of DVD's might
be the best option on balance??

Buy a firewire hard drive. Use Retrospect <http://www.dantz.com/>, or any one of the other available utilities.

Incremental backups or archives to DVD-R probably aren't a bad idea either, as it's cheap to make two copies and send them offsite (whereas you may be reticent to do this with a firewire hard drive :)

Have fun,
Shay
--
Perth, Western Australia Technomancer It must be bunnies!