Hi All,

At the last WAMUG meeting, I asked a question about my new iMac. Sometimes,
the mouse freezes when you click on something, and you have to power off and
then power on again.

At the meeting someone said that there was a known issue with the hardware
in some of the earlier models of the flat-panel iMac.

I rang and used my Extended AppleCare support for the first time, and 4
calls later I'm starting to get really miffed with the "its the software!"
line that they keep telling me.

I followed the support line's suggestions, and have (I think) narrowed it
down to something that's killing the USB mouse driver, because the rest of
the machine seems to keep working - you just can't click on anything...

I've tried reformatting the hard drive, and then tried again with the "Zero
All Data" option as the support line suggested.

I've tried updating my third party drivers (only the Brother Laser (USB)
printer HL1240 driver), and disabling the rest. I can live without all the
other peripherals, but I cannot live without the printer.

I've tried unplugging all other USB devices except for the printer, keyboard
and mouse.

I've tried disabling all the 3rd party extensions by selecting Mac OS 9.2.2
All in the extension set.

So, here are my questions:
1. Does anyone know for sure if there's a hardware issue, and if so, is
there some reference that you can quote me so that I can tell them the next
time I ring.

2. Does anyone else use the Brother HL1240 laser printer and Mac OS 9.2.2?
Has it ever frozen the mouse for you?

3. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do next? I really like
the machine, but it's a $3.5k lemon if it keeps freezing on me. I am
tempted to return it for an exchange or refund.

All help appreciated,
Paul.
--
Paul W. Mulroney Logical Developments