Hi Colin

You will need a cable ($10-$15) that takes the signal from your tape player to
your mac, the mac end will likely be 3.5mm Mini-Jack (the same as used for
small headphones) the tape player end needs to match the connectors on the tape
player, ideally this would be Twin RCA type (separate plugs for left and right)
or the same 3.5mm Mini-Jack.
Some modern tape players have no actual outlet connectors, they only play out
to speaker cables.
If yours is like this you can still do it, with minor surgery to the cable,
simply strip the ends off the cable and attatch it to the left and right
speaker connectors of the tape player and the other end to the microphone
connector of the mac.
WARNING:Recording from the speaker connections allows the volume adjustment on
the tapedeck to remain active, you should be careful to keep this LOW. A low
recording can be adjusted or "turned up" after it is recorded, however one that
is too LOUD will be of a poorer quality and cannot be cured.

Set your sound settings to "Sound Input: Microphone" then tick "Listen" to
allow you to monitor the recording as it happens.

Now you need to choose software designed to take recordings, hopefully it will
also do the Mp3 encoding you want (remember that Mp3 does not play on most CD
players as yet, mainly computers).
I believe iTunes can manage this. If not there is plenty of freeware that will,
try Version Tracker and/or Hitsquad.

Good Luck
Paul