BANGKOK (Reuters) -

Security guards smashed their way into an official limousine with
sledgehammers on Monday to rescue Thailand's finance minister after his
car's computer failed.

Suchart Jaovisidha and his driver were trapped inside the BMW for more
than 10 minutes before guards broke a window. All doors and windows had
locked automatically when the computer crashed, and the air-conditioning
stopped, officials said.

'We could hardly breathe for over 10 minutes,' Suchart told reporters.
'It took my guard a long time to realize that we really wanted the
window smashed so that we could crawl out. It was a harrowing
experience.'

Microsoft Technology Hits the Road in BMW 7 Series

Microsoft Navigates the Automotive Industry, Enhances the Driver
Experience

Microsoft technology powers the navigation feature used in BMW's
innovative new iDrive telematics system. (Click for high-resolution
image) REDMOND, Wash. -- March 4, 2002 -- Microsoft Corp. today
announced that the BMW 7 Series, the line of cars introduced last month
in the United States, features Microsoftís robust, real-time embedded
operating system, Windows® CE. This announcement comes shortly after
Microsoftís Automotive Business Unit launched Windows CE for Automotive
v3.5, the newest version of its telematics software platform based on
Windows CE, and announced an end-to-end solution to enable the auto
industry to cost-effectively implement and maintain advanced automotive
telematics.

Siemens VDO Automotive AG, the preferred navigation supplier of BMW, is
using the Microsoft® Windows CE operating system in the Control Display,
which is part of the innovative BMW iDrive concept. Microsoftís
technology is available to BMW motorists worldwide, delivering an
advanced in-car computing experience.

"When we heard about BMWís telematics vision, we knew the exceptional
quality in Microsoft technology would fit hand-in-hand," said Bob
McKenzie, general manager of Microsoftís Automotive Business Unit. "The
iDrive concept is a unique one, and weíre proud to power the graphical
user interface in the Control Display."

The iDrive concept and the Control Display enable easy operation of, and
convenient access to, the myriad of features at the driverís disposal,
including the navigation, telephone, climate control and entertainment
systems. This presents a bold new concept for interaction between the
driver and automobile. The BMW 7 Series was launched in Germany in fall
2001. It is now available in North America and will be available in
other markets this spring.

This is the first of several related announcements to come from
Microsoftís Automotive Business Unit.