On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 01:30 PM, Mark Secker wrote:

> Thinking about Java, C and C++ or equivalent languages...
>
> I've not done any programming for many years... well OK database
> stuff excluded... and was interested in getting back in to it more as
> a "hobby" thing. Obviously I'm thinking Mac and OSX stuff but....
>
> given my past academic/job stuff was mostly IBM mainframe stuff the
> actual languages (Assembler, JCL, CICs, COBOL) are some what
> irrelevant and other stuff (Pascal, C C++) was Unix shell stuff I'm
> not that knowledgeable on what tools to lay my hands on/books to read
> to get started on doing OSX applications.
>
> any help/advice appreciated.

You already have all the software you need on the Developer CD which
came with MacOS X. O'Reilly Publishing have a growing list of
excellent reference books on Cocoa programming, and Boffins Bookshop in
Perth have a decent selection from other publishers as well. To get
started, you could also check out Mike Beam's excellent series of
articles at <http://www.macdevcenter.com/>.

--
Peter Hinchliffe
Apwin Computer Services FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer