On Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003, at 20:54 Australia/Perth, Bob Howells wrote:

David de la Hunty wrote:
I was getting this sort of thing. It was not the phone line but the
crappy local exchange. It only gets 28.8.

OH YEH ? Says who ?
telstra. I had to ask the question about 5 times since she seemed either ignorant or evasive and was eventually shut up with "Telstra only guarantees 28.8" (ie so why was I complaining?)

Might be the path from the exchange to the Modem,
and just as likely to be the ISP.

naah I get 56k ALWAYS in Rockingham, the crappy speed is only Applecross. And it's a 2 year old house with all new cabling. Mind you the relays in the street frequently drop out on a Saturday for 36-48 hours so it might just be the line there. Who knows, still Telstra's shitty service to blame despite being an inner city suburb!

Even a MUX system from the exchange to the Modem should give
33.6 which is at least a bit better than 28.8

hmmm. maybe iiNet geek was not so helpful after all. Still, 30 000 is the fastest speed I have ever seen in this borough even on v90. Years ago when 28.8 was the flash new standard, Applecross still only got 14.4 for years and years.

Cutting down the speed is NO satisfaction.

Bob

The helpful lad at iiNet fixed it by getting me to go into the Modem
preferences and select v.34 (rather than v.90). This locked the speed
at 28.8 and solved the conflict.

Give it a try.

BTW is it my imagination or is the above positive reference to iiNet a
bit of a rarity these days?