Hi All,

MacNN reader Daryl Courtney writes: "I read a article about a retailer who is trying to get GPS companies to support the Mac.The retailer even offered to help, but the companies are saying not enough interest, etc. The retailer has posted a GPS petition to try to help show there is an interest."

<http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/131.1.12331854138312293663/macsignup.html>

As mac user and a GPS user I'd say this can't hurt to get in there and put your name down (hmmm maybe not e-mail address as I have no idea how they are going to store them even if they don't distribute them)

Some random thoughts:

The main thing is when GPS hardware manufacturers release software to integrate with their GPS's this is generally what the consumer buys because instead of being purchased at computer shops this stuff tends to be for sale at camping/boating/4wd shops. These places tend not to have computer literate people selling the product and at some places they have no idea about the software or how to use it (a certain 4WD outfitters shop comes to mind)

The maps are fairly standardised and getting more so. But the programs to read/display them and interface with the GPS interface drivers are almost all PC only (a certain publisher of Australian city road maps comes to mind)

Given the very function of GPS's laptops would be the predominant type of full function PC they interface with (ignoring palmtops) does Apple not have a higher market share in laptops than they do in desktops?

There are commercial 3rd party software companies that write GPS programs for Mac which range from freeware text based waypoint download/ipload utilities through to mega $$ custom written commercial freight road , sea and flight planning & management.

Most (all?) GPS's use serial interfaces and there are several sets of "standards" for PC/GPS data transfer. I have had my Garmin plugged in to a old serial port equipped mac and been able to extract waypoints and trip stats in to a text file I don't have a serial to USB converter to try it on current mac :( . I'm guessing as USB interfaces start to replace serial (or in Rathalon's case Ethernet replacing serial) mac interfacing will become (return) simpler for the "plebs".

I would suggest everyone sign up for this petition and GPS is sorely lacking for the Mac.

- Matt

--

0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0
     Matt Healey                                                [EMAIL

WAMUG is powered by Stalker CommuniGatePro

--
~
Mark Secker [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"'We are all children of $root'
or so says a wise old programer..."
Anon.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
-- Jeremy S. Anderson