>From a PC user point of view...

Is there something different in the PPP specs on new Macs or something to
do with the way data is transmitted/received (character set?, etc) ?

I only ask, as I notice the bagging of iiNet on this list, but have to say
that after 7-8 years with them (on both Mac and PC) I can not say I have
ever encountered more than a reasonable period of down time due to some
specific reason.  In the past 4 years I have had only a handful of engaged
signals (20 at most), with connection times ranging from 8 hrs - 70+ hrs.

I have an old dinosaur Mac 8100/110 , which I occassionally fire up to do
some things, and the connection still works on a Motorola 28K modem using
the old (original) PPP scripts.

I have friends with iMac's and a Mac laptop (ibook?), and I have helped
them connect to iiNet, with no problems of what I read on this list ?

I understand that the Support call centre may not always appreciate the Mac
customers.
Surely, there must be a simple reason for the connection issues ?... well,
certainly not ones that result in you having to purchase a Net Friendly
Fridge to get on line ?

Regards,

Mark Scholmann
<ANTI  FLAME  SHIELDS = ON>     :-}