on 26/09/03 11:47, Chris Burton at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I have a dilemma with hundreds of records of gps data. It has been
> entered in 3 columns as
> Degrees, Minutes and Seconds: eg 33  32      118    Unfortunately I
> think it should have been in two columns as:
> Degrees and decimal minutes:    eg 33  32.118
>
> Can someone please assist with a short cut to tell excel to  add the
> decimal point and the seconds column to the minutes, so I dont have to
> go through and retype each record? Blowed if I can think of the
> solution here, and the help is not that intuitive. I have thought of
> the Concatenate function but it deals with text...is there another that
> will use numbers and dots!

Hi Chris,

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but if the data really is in
degrees/minutes/seconds and you want it in degrees/decimal minutes then you
will need to actually convert it - ie divide seconds by 60 to get decimal
minutes and then add to the whole minutes.

However, from the example you give I'm assuming this is not the case (since
118>60 and the max you'd expect in the seconds column would be 59). So
assuming the data in the second two columns IS minutes/decimal minutes your
options depend on how the data is entered in the third column with respect
to leading/trailing zeros, eg how would say .200, .020 and .002 minutes have
been entered in the third column:

-   if just the digits after the decimal point have been entered, you would
have a problem since "2" "02' and "002" will all equate to 2 and I suspect
you would have to go through and retype the records to get the correct
values.

-   assuming all three digits (including leading/trailing zeros) have been
typed in ie "200" "020" "002" the number will be correctly entered as
thousandths ie "200" "20" "2" and you can just do a conversion.

1)  type "=RC[-2]+RC[-1]/1000" in column 4 (fill down to cover all records)
2)  select and copy column 4
3)  "paste special" into column 5 and paste "values"
4)  delete columns 2,3 & 4
(a quick alternative would be to just do step 1 and then hide columns 2 & 3)

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Neil

--