Kevin
Surely not. My school has Canon MV530i and it has USB and firewire. Look for firewire port (4 pin) at front under rubber hatch (or at side under other rubber hatch - can't remember but it should be there) Canon website states it has IEEE 1394 (Firewire). I've just sent email to colleague this morning recommending just this camera. It's a lovely model. USB is to download pics from inbuilt memory card.

http://www.canon.com.au/products/cameras/cameras_video/mv630i_specs

Memory card compatibility:
Multi-Media card (MMC) and Secure Digital (SD)
DV terminal:
Yes, input and output, 4-pin connector compatible with IEEE 1394
Other terminals:
Microphone input, Headphone output, S terminal, AV terminal, USB port

Reg
Hi every1,

I just parted with $1200 for the Canon MV-630i DV camera and am now a tad worried about whether I can import video onto my G3 iBook or not. Before I parted with said money I was assured that the camera was Mac compatible but iMovie only seems to allow connections via Firewire and my new toy only has USB port connectors...

Is there a cable solution here, or do I need third-party software?

Cheers,
Kevin from Wycheproof.