On Sunday, October 12, 2003, at 10:11 PM, Mervyn & Giuliana Bond wrote:

Following Peter's demonstration at last Tuesday's meeting of Ragtime Solo I downloaded and registered the application.

Working through its bits and pieces, including acquiring a scanned image, was interesting and motivating.

Hit a stone wall when I tried to export a file as PDF. An error message popped up saying I required Acrobat Distiller Version 4 or higher - Error Code -10814

I am running Acrobat Reader 5.0. Does one need more than just a reader?

Merv

Sorry - I admit I hadn't researched this particular feature properly before the demo. I had completely forgotten about its reliance on Acrobat Distiller.

There are notes on this in the ReadMe under the Ragtime Help menu. Ragtime exports to PDF using Acrobat Distiller via Apple Events, so yes, you do need Distiller for the export function to work, unfortunately. Here a few points about this:

1. Acrobat Distiller is part of the Adobe Acrobat Professional package, not Adobe Reader, and not available separately.

2. At the time of writing the release notes (at least in my version of Ragtime Solo) Acrobat Distiller had not been released fro MacOS X, so they caution that it should be launched in Classic first before attempting to export, in order to avoid crashing Ragtime.

3. Adobe Distlller 6.0 (as part of Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional, is now fully MacOS X compatible. I have no idea how this impacts on Ragtime, or even if Ragtime currently supports Acrobat Distiller 6.0 in MacOS X.

4. The Export to PDF feature is largely intended for use in MacOS 9 and earlier, since MacOS X exports to PDF via the Print function natively, without the need for Distiller.

5. The purpose of Acrobat Distiller is to convert EPS files to PDF files. In Panther, EPS files will be able to be opened directly in the Preview application, thereby reducing (or even perhaps removing - who knows?) the need for Acrobat Distiller. Since Ragtime Solo also exports to EPS, you will be able to take this as an alternative (and hopefully more accurate than the Jaguar way) path to PDF creation if you want.

--
Peter Hinchliffe
Apwin Computer Services            FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer