At 09:02 +0800 20/12/03, Peter Faulks wrote:
Can anyone tell me the best solution to bringing video (VCR PAL) using RCA plugs or whatever or audio (RCA Plugs) from cassette into a Mac so I can burn music or video onto a CD.

Peter, one of the easiest ways I've found for transferring combined video/audio from VHS to computer is to play from the source VHS player into a DV (digital video) camera, then take a FireWire feed out of the camera and into the computer. The DV camera essentially does the conversion of VHS to DV for you, and you can then use whatever video editing software you like on the computer.

If your DV camera doesn't allow this pass-through conversion, you could instead do a tape-to-tape copy from VHS to DV, then play the DV tape into the computer via FireWire.

I imagine you could capture audio in this way too, separately from the video, with appropriate capture software. You could also input an audio-only feed through the microphone socket on your computer and capture it that way using any number of freeware/shareware/commercial programs.

Once your audio is on the computer you could organise it using software such as iTunes and then burn it to CD.

I don't put video onto CD, I put it back to DV tape. There are video formats around for video on CD, I just haven't experimented with them - Shay? Onno? If your computer has a SuperDrive you could put it onto DVD instead.

All of the above applies to Mac and Windows platforms.

Hope this helps.
--

Andrew Nielsen  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>