I get poor connections with them also. I get connections around the 40k mark and never over 43k. I'm living in Booragoon. My friend in Coobalup is getting connections around 46/48k however. Unless your going to be doing nothing but browsing you probably won't get away without paying the $23.90. I'd suggest you consider talking to Stuart Elvish about a dial up connection. Using their plan you won't pay more than $25.00 a month and it's bound to be more reliable than Dodo. I'd say the extra $1 would easily be worth it.

I have a friend who is with Dodo, and he consistantly
experiences very slow and unreliable modem connections on the
Rockingham dialup pool. Could just be his telephone line of
course, but the number of times he sometimes has to redial is
scary itself. I guess you get what you pay for?

We're testing a new ISP - appropriately named dodo, not penguin, as
iinet and westnet connection down here in Augusta is really sad. It
seems like a good plan at $1 for first month ($9.90 normally), plus max
$15 for additional downloads over 70 MB (to normal max of $23.90) plus
5 internet addresses, web site access etc. time will tell, as with most
dodos! We're currently paying $40 / month with iinet. Does anyone have
any experience with dododododododos?