You should be able to back up all your work - and then put in your original
cd, reformat the lot and re-install mac os 9.1. Mac OS 10.2 should run
faster than Mac OS 10.1.5 which was pretty unstable.

Another way would be to buy a cheap 40-60gb 5400rpm drive and put it into
you imac(not for the faint hearted), put as much memory as you can into it
and put 10.3 on it.

http://www.macworld.com/2001/10/bc/howtoimac/

Cheers
Andy