On 3 Apr 2004, at 4:03 PM, Severin Crisp wrote:

Today I had spam email looking like Westpac, National Bank, Netbank and ANZ each notifying me of transfers of large amounts out of my account. A URL was given to respond if I wished. I guess they were trading on shock response so that I would "login" with my details. Needless to say I did not! Mail correctly identified the emails as junk.
Severin Crisp

These have been about for some months now. Firstly it was Westpac, who I phoned and was advised they are aware of the scam. Now other banks are involved. I too received several from different banks today -- so obviously a con. They are obviously trawling for the average person's banking information. I understand the police are trying to track down the perpetrators.

I do not respond to any cold calls by email or telephone asking for money or details of my finances (credit card numbers etc). Its a pity some charities are missing out, but that's the result of all the the crooks out there.

Incidentally, if I am curious enough to want to see it, I only open span mail after disconnecting from the server. I vaguely remember a message on this list saying that just opening a message can send a return message to the sender confirming the address is valid. Is this true, or am I being over cautious?

Regards,

John Taylor