On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 17:45, John Taylor wrote:

> Incidentally, if I am curious enough to want to see it, I only
> openspan mail after disconnecting from the server. I vaguely remember
> amessage on this list saying that just opening a message can send
> areturn message to the sender confirming the address is valid. Is
> thistrue, or am I being over cautious?

If you're using a bad email client (some versions of MS Outlook Express,
etc) it can send a receipt w/o asking you.

More commonly people will be talking about "Web bugs" (most often a 1x1
pixel GIF image with a name that's unique on the remote server, so they
know that webbug/112312sdfsah1212.gif is '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'). A good
mail client will not load images or plugins from remote servers and will
not run any scripting information, protecting you from this problem too.

Mozilla Mail is fairly good, but I don't know about how other clients
for the Mac hold up in this regard. I use Evolution myself, which won't
run on the Mac.

Craig Ringer