> However, the fact that the MP3 icon appears bouncing in the Dock
> makes
>this an easily noticeable trojan. The application is a Carbon app, and
>Carbon apps may not have the ability to not have their icons appear in
>the Dock -- the fact that it is a Carbon application is why it is
>allowed not to have a ".app" extension, as all Cocoa apps require. If
>the application was a Cocoa application, it would have a ".app"
>extension, in which case the application would not have an MP3 icon on
>it. A custom icon could be applied in this case, however, to fool
>users AND have the Dock icon hidden, since Cocoa apps can definitely
>hide their icon in the Dock.

Hmm. If it wanted to produce a little more uncertainty and doom, it
could even launch iTunes when the trojan starts running ;)

Of course type of trojan could have happened on OS 9 as well... it isn't
something that OS X's extensions have helped produce.

I am very glad that it's just a proof of concept -- it's even named
"virus.mp3.sit"! But it wouldn't take much for someone else to run with
the idea...

Just have to be more careful about anything from an untrusted source I
guess.

Ryan