On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 10:34, Peter Hinchliffe wrote:

> This thing apparently comes in on MP3 files, and can do all sorts of
> nasty things, including deleting all the files in your user account,
> emailing itself to other users, and infecting other files on your
> computer. The warning from Intego is to avoid double-clicking MP3
> files.

While the actual issue appears to be blown out of all proportion (anyone
remember the "JPEG virus" for Linux? *lol*), it does appear to raise a
valid issue.

By supporting type/creator codes, file extensions, and other methods of
identifying files, the MacOS can and will run into areas where it
identifies a file one way for display, and another when actually opened.
This is very similar to the eternal problems Microsoft has with IE,
where it will display information based on the MIME type, and act based
on the file extension, or vice versa.

This will almost certainly lead to significant security problems, just
as it has on Windows. Users who are aware now that a file with a given
icon and listed type may not actually be that sort of file will be safer
- so keep that in mind, especially when you get email.

Alternately, instead of thinking "only Windows users need to worry about
attachments," think "I'll be careful anyway" - and avoid being bitten
when the first /real/ Mac worm hits. (Note: the same goes for users of
other plaforms. Linux users in particular seem far too happy to say
"it'll never happen to us.").

Craig Ringer