> > Does anybody have a recommendation (or from the retailers on list - a
> > quote) for a small home laser printer - my experience is more office
> > printer orientated. I have an academic user who requires a home laser
> > printer to replace her now obsolete Apple Laserwriter 4/600 and she's
> > looking for a USB or (preferable) ethernet laser printer of small
> > dimensions (and preferably "short vertical height wise top to
> > bottom). I must admit I have a personal interest in this as my own
> > home laser printer is on it's last legs so will be looking to buy one
> > for my self as well.

Computer Angels will have some HP 4-series printers for sale at our next
surplus sale. All printers have been tested, but come with absolutely no
warranty of any kind. The printers all come with a toner cart installed,
but the carts are not new. The printers are $250 each, and while they
don't come with JetDirect network cards the cards are available from
eBay etc quite cheap.

Parts are still available from HP for the 4M series printers, they're
amazingly reliable, and the toner carts aren't "chipped" so refills can
be used. Additionally, they take standard Fast Page memory, so you can
get extra memory for them quite easily. In fact, if you have an old 486
PC at home the memory might be compatible. The 4M series are also easy
to service yourself if you need to - as I should know, having repaired 8
or so of them recently.

I don't have the exact date on me right now, but I can get more details
if anybody is interested. Just contact me off-list.

All funds go to support the training and computer literacy services
provided by Computer Angels. See http://www.computerangels.org.au/ for
more information.

We still don't have a definite date on the next door sale.

Craig Ringer
(CA president)