Does anybody have a recommendation (or from the retailers on list - a
quote) for a small home laser printer

I personally recommend Brother, I have one here in my home office that
has replaced an HP 4L,

I chose a HL 1440 as it has a high capacity toner unit (6000 standard A4 pages for ~$119) and the drum does ~ 20,000 pages for ~$229. The printer
cost me $699, but I believe it has dropped to ~$500.

For one with network look at the HL1430 at a RRP of $499 is a good buy,
it has USB and Parallel interface, and has software for OsX.

The Brothers are good laser printers - I have a HL1240. USB only, but if all the machines on the network are OSX (or all OS9), you can share the printer. I concur that you get excellent mileage on the drums and toner - excellent value for money.

Harris Technologies sell a Samsung brand printer that looks suspiciously like the brother for a lot cheaper. Might be worth investigating.

Regards,
Paul.
--
Paul W. Mulroney Logical Developments
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         86 Coolgardie Street