Roger, it sounds like you are importing the DVD footage off DVD using an
application like DVDbackup and then converting it into iMovie rather than
capturing analog video from the DVD.  Is this correct?  In that case you
need to break it up into chunks smaller than 2GBs manually - iMovie only
automatically breaks footage into 2GB chunks itself when doing an analog
video capture.

The easiest way to do this is to use Quicktime Pro to copy and paste 9
minute chunks (9 minutes of DV footage is just a bit less than 2GBs at the
standard DV datarate of 3.6MB/s) into separate files and then import those
files into iMovie.  It is laborious but it works.

-Mart