The slice files turn out to be a bit of gobbldygook.  You can see all the
text, but there doesn't seem to be anything that makes sense as far as times
go.

Yes, that's because they're binary files.

I did notice that the software used to create the slices automatically for
the Tivo are just Perl scripts.  I can almost get them to run, but my
command line skills aren't quite to the level required.

That's great, but the scripts *produce* slice files, which isn't much use as you
* can already download them
* can't use them with the EyeTV

I'm sure though that the same thing could be done via Applescript.  Or, is
there a way to combine the Perl scripts with something created with
Applescript Studio?

Interesting to note that the Tivo is essentially a Linux box!  I have
downloaded an emulator for PCs that run the Tivo hacked software (so it will
run in Australia).  Would be good to emulate the interface for EyeTV!

The EyeTV GUI is IMHO pretty sucky.

Anyway, for what it's worth I've begun bashing some Python to do importing of slice files.

Have fun,
Shay
--
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer  Join Team Sungroper in the