On 3/6/04 9:21 AM, "Shay Telfer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> The slice files turn out to be a bit of gobbldygook.  You can see all the
>> text, but there doesn't seem to be anything that makes sense as far as times
>> go.
>
> Yes, that's because they're binary files.
>
>> I did notice that the software used to create the slices automatically for
>> the Tivo are just Perl scripts.  I can almost get them to run, but my
>> command line skills aren't quite to the level required.
>
> That's great, but the scripts *produce* slice files, which isn't much
> use as you
> * can already download them
> * can't use them with the EyeTV

There are 4 scripts in total - the first one actually goes to the ebroadcast
url and pulls down the info.  The second parses it into something useful.
Can't remember what the third does, but the fourth converts it into a slice.
So until the fourth script is run, the slice should still be text.

>> I'm sure though that the same thing could be done via Applescript.  Or, is
>> there a way to combine the Perl scripts with something created with
>> Applescript Studio?
>>
>> Interesting to note that the Tivo is essentially a Linux box!  I have
>> downloaded an emulator for PCs that run the Tivo hacked software (so it will
>> run in Australia).  Would be good to emulate the interface for EyeTV!
>
> The EyeTV GUI is IMHO pretty sucky.
>
> Anyway, for what it's worth I've begun bashing some Python to do
> importing of slice files.
>
> Have fun,
> Shay

Cool!  I'll investigate what we can do with Applescript Studio, and
hopefully make a better front end for EyeTV.

Seeya

Rod!