Hello, WAMUGgers,
Suddenly, without warning, keychain access seems to have changed its password. I'm the only one who uses this machine, and I didn't do it! I have always left it at the default password, the same one I use to start the computer. This password no longer works. I looked in Help, and found the following advice and tried it, but it hasn't worked.

        *You can change a keychain password at any time.

However, if you want your default keychain (which has the same name as your short user name) to be unlocked automatically when you log in, make sure your keychain password is the same as your Mac OS X login password.

To change both your login password and your account keychain password so that they match, open System Preferences, click My Account, and click Change next to My Password.

To change only your keychain password, open Keychain Access and choose Settings from the Edit menu.

If your Mac OS X login password is not the same as your account keychain password, you'll be asked for the password whenever an application needs access to your keychain and your keychain is locked.*

The bit about choosing Settings from the Edit menu doesn't make sense, because all it does is ask for the password. Then I hunted down the preferences for keychain and flushed them. Went to System Preferences, changed my login password. Restarted. It didn't solve the keychain problem. I looked in WAMUG archives, but didn't find anything useful.

I was afraid to remove the basic keychain document from my home Keychain folder, because then the information would be lost. Is there a way to read this document through the command line, just to retrieve the information stored in the keychain?

I am using OS 10.2.8. The keychain problem started a few days ago, when it began refusing to remember my e-mail password. The only significant actions I had taken were to install two small applications: one of them was Degrees down Under, and the other was Audion 2, which was on my Toast Titanium 5.2 disk.

        Help urgently requested.

Pat