Hi All,

On Friday, June 18, 2004, at 05:06  AM, WAMUG Mailing List wrote:

I'm thinking of hosting 10 half hour seminars about aspects of
computing in the library of the rural community where I'm staying. If
there was a single topic that you'd like your parents to know about,
with relation to computing, what would it be?

I guess it depends on the context. I wrote a "Basic Computing" course which we used as part of the First Click program a year or so ago, which was 10 x 2hr sessions. That was basic navigation of the gui, and how to use a word processor - written for someone who has never seen a computer before. I then wrote a "Basic Internet" course, which was how to do email, surf the web, get connected to the internet, and some examples of other services like online chat etc. All fairly basic stuff.

If you want to know about my parents, my mum would never get connected - she can't see the point of having a computer. My dad now has a computer and he wanted to be able to type a letter and print it, organise the letters he's created on the computer, send/receive email, and maybe calculate some figures in a spreadsheet.

He used to ring me up with questions about the printer not working, not being able to understand Microsoft Word and Windows ME <shudder>, and to help him find files he'd "lost" on the machine.

These days he wants to take digital photos, convert his vast collection of family snaps and slides into a digital slideshow, and maybe start messing with video editing. I told him to buy a Mac :)

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Regards,
Paul.
--
Paul W. Mulroney Logical Developments
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         86 Coolgardie Street