without wanting to point you to the darkside but here's a good article
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/expert/rawfiles.mspx>

Your camera is probably bundling 3 or more images in to the single file - 1 the RAW data which is pretty much unique to each camera model range/brand, 2: a standard TIFF image and 3: at least one though probably more Thumbnails in TIFF or JPG format at different resolutions.

I guess iphoto doesn't have the imager for that type of RAW file and is only displaying the JPG or TIFF thumbnai lthat is part of the RAW's metadata.

Graphics converter is probably stripping the RAW image out and only keeping the TIFF image Photoshop keeps the RAW data (and probably the original camera generated TIFF) even after you save it - have you tried exporting or coping it to a new Photoshop image? my guess is if you do this it will discard the archived camera generated RAW and TIFF data. But then you have to ask your self do you really want to discard such information? and if so at what stage I've got friends who have been professional photographers and the killer for them was the client who wanted the colour balance changed in a photo 10 minutes before the job go's to the printer or similar.

If I take a Nikon RAW file from my camera in NEF format it is 7.7 MB. If I open it and save it as a Photoshop file in .psd format from Photoshop it saves as 28.5MB. If I do the same thing with Graphic Converter it comes out at 3.8MB. If I open that file and save it from Photoshop it drops back to 3MB!
Can anyone enlighten me please?
Severin Crisp

Incidentally, iPhoto will happily accept these files from the camera and export them as TIFFS. However, only the thumbnail is available within iPhoto so they will not enlarge properly in iPhoto.

                    Assoc Professor R Severin Crisp, FIP, CPhys, FAIP
       15 Thomas St, Mount Clarence, Albany, 6330, Western Australia.
                      Phone  (08) 9842 1950   (Int'l +61 8 9842 1950)
                             email  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                        Web pages http://www.JennyCrisp.com.au
                          &  http://members.westnet.com.au/Crisp

WAMUG is powered by Stalker CommuniGatePro

--
~
Mark Secker Computer Support Officer

<http://ecel-mark.ecel.uwa.edu.au/~marksecker/index.htm> (sometimes works)