On 28 Jun 2004, at 5:31 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:

I'm also looking for a PCI ATI Rage 128 card that will go in my
computer. Apparently this will make OS X go significantly faster, in
addition to my 3D games.

I don't doubt it.

That brings me to something I've been wondering about for a while - on
AGP macs, is there any requirement to use an Apple-modified card? It'd
be nice if I could pick up a standard Radeon 9200 (I don't care about
the ADC on the Apple ones) and use that.

I've heard that you have to flash the ROM (change the firmware) for some cards, but I would check if you have to do this (and how) with a G4. Here's one related post: http://www.baseboard.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5330
I know it has to be done with non-Apple-modified Voodoo 3 cards.

Regards,

Chris Taylor