"In the interest of improving learning opportunities for students, DET aims to phase out the myriad different computers used in schools, along with individual servers."

The report progresses to the statement that "a uniformity of computers and software would ensure fast, efficient in-house support services, better product quality and lower maintenance costs for schools."

Please consider

Reg

I expect this is part of their bureaucratese code for "we're going to use Microsoft". Uniformity that relies on lock-in to a vendor's closed standards when that vendor is going to shaft you for licence fees every year is really not going to lower costs overall.

Imagine the Irish government issuing a document calling for the uniformity of potatoes, just before the potato blight lead to the famine. Having a heterogeneous mix means that if some new threat comes along it doesn't wipe out *all* your systems in one hit.

Having to continually patch everything to stop viruses from spreading like wildfire isn't going to reduce support costs.

<http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/biztech/02/16/microsoft.monoculture.ap/>

In my experience, uniformity of systems leads to tunnel vision. Being able to exist in multiple niches allows you some flexibility should some of those niches disappear due to conditions beyond your control.

Have fun,
Shay
--
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer  Join Team Sungroper in the