On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 03:28, Geoffrey Stormzand wrote:
> There are a couple of reasons for my post, as we are trying to secure
> housing for the period mentioned above, we are hopefully looking at
> splitting our time between the CBD and the beach. Right now were are
> looking at these 2 places:

Well, I should point out that the distance between the CBD and the beach
is not that great, we even have a City to Surf fun-run, so I'd not be
too worried about organising two locations, seeing that from a distance
perspective at least that seems moot.

Having said that, of course there is a difference in life-style between
living in "the CBD" and "the beach", but the CBD as such doesn't have
any houses, just a few hotels, and such. So what you indicate is
actually near the CBD, but not actually the CBD.

Now I happen to know that one of the members of this list also runs a
Bed & Breakfast in Victoria Park, I'm pretty sure he has broadband and
Mark and Kathy are very friendly people - just beware of their son :-)

(Hi Ryan :-)

        http://www.durhamlodge.com.au/

And he's a Mac person to boot! (And he also has a few self-contained
apartments, so you get the best of both worlds, a home away from home
and some local knowledge.)

> The sticking point for me as a Mac Consultant is I will need to still
> service my clients while here, so I need to have high speed internet
> access while I'm in Perth. The apartment in Scarborough is willing to
> install it.  What would be the best service?  I've seen mention of Big
> Pond are there other that are more reliable?

As Shay pointed out, I'd not want to come along and hope to install it
while I was there. At present there seems to be a pretty high demand and
past experience indicates that some requests take more than a little
time to implement if the local telephone exchange doesn't have enough
capacity.

I'd be looking for *existing* Internet, especially for such a short
visit.

> Does anyone have an opinion about which air carrier to use when flying
> to Perth from Melbourne?  We have seen Quantas,of course, and also
> Virgin Blue ???

Well, there are only those two, and Qantas comes without a 'u', because
it is an acronym for Queensland And Northern Territory Air Services.

I'd expect that it would be cheapest to book an International Flight to
Perth via Melbourne and organise a stop-over, rather than a separate
flight.

> Also I have subscribe the the iCal schedule for WAMUG, are the upcoming
> meetings still 3 August and 7 September?  If nothing is changed I will
> be attending the meeting in September to meet all of you!!

WAMUG meetings are always the first Tuesday of the Month. (Except
Janauary for some reason :-) I'd also love to meet you, but presently
I'm on the other side of the country and will be here until at least the
middle of October.

So, welcome to Australia :-)

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S27°52'30" - E151°16'25" (Millmerran, QLD)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..