Diana

This may or may not be related to your problem - I had an authentication
problem with CUPS where I would put in my admin username and password when
requested and it would fail to authenticate every time.  The reason being
that there was a change in the way passwords were stored from Jaguar to
Panther and CUPS couldn't read from the new system.  I was able to overcome
the problem by editing the CUPS config file to reduce security.

It may be that there is a similar problem with VPC - perhaps that's drawing
a long bow.

My suggestion however, is to remove VPC (how to
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=824659&product=vpcmac) and
reinstall it and the updates - up to 5.0.4 I think.  Make sure you keep your
disk image intact (copy it somewhere) as this can be used with the
re-installed VPC - you'll need to configure it to use the existing disk
image once it is installed.  This will save an enormous amount of time and
hassle as all of your existing setup will be there ready to go.

If you have trouble finding the updates (if you don't have them) then drop
me a line and I'll try to dig them out - I'm sure I have them somewhere.

Regards

Greg