> From: Stephen Chape <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I am fairly certain that by connecting a VHS Player to a Digital
> Camcorder and then the Camcorder to the Mac (using firewire) you can
> download video directly to iMovie.
>
> So the Camcorder becomes (in effect) an analogue to digital converter.
> Perhaps a more experienced WAMUG member can back me up or correct (if
> necessary) me on this.
>
> On 14/11/2004, at 11:29 PM, Greg Satti wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations about video editing
>> hardware/software to transfer VHS to Mac via firewire/usb.  Any good
>> and/or
>> bad reports greatly appreciated - cheers.

As has been mentioned on a number of previous occasions on this list, the
easiest and cheapest solution software-wise is iMovie (and iDVD if you wish
to output to DVD).

Hardware-wise, there are a number of options including one new one just
released yesterday:

- Just released ConvertX Plexor USB 2.0 analog video TV tuner and PVR.  It
also allows you to plug a VCR or other video source in to capture from at up
to 720x480.  I haven't used this yet and haven't seen any reviews, but it
looks like a reasonable option if you don't already have a DV camera:
<http://elgato.com/index.php?file=products_convertx&PHPSESSID=680db61c9722da
b60667d3a65ed7dd9e>  US$229  The EyeTV software provides basic video editing
or you can use Quicktime Pro or import (convert) into iMovie.
<http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=4016>

- Alchemy TV also does the TV tuner thing and captures full screen, full
motion analog video.  This is a PCI card so you need a Mac with PCI slots
(PowerMac G4 or G5)  We've had good results with several of these cards.
This is probably the cheapest option at Aus$215 for high quality analog
video capture
http://miglia.com/products/video/alchemytvdvr/index.html

- DV video camera acting as an analog to DV converter (as Stephen describes
above).  I've used this many times quite successfully.  Just make sure the
camcorder is recent enough to support AV input.  Our old Sony DCR-TRV7
camcorder doesn't and neither do camcorders sold in Europe (due to
legislation banning the feature I believe! This has I think (hope!) changed
in recent years)

- Analog-Firewire video converters.  The Canopus ADVC-100 series has worked
well for us
http://www.canopus-aust.com/AU/products/ADVC-100/pm_advc-100.asp Aus$650
as has the Miglia Directors Cut
http://miglia.com/products/video/director2/index.html

- The cheapest option is various USB v1.0 video capture dongles but they
only capture at quarter screen resolution so I don't recommend them. We do
have a number of Mac OS X compatible XLR8 Interview USB v1.0 video capture
interfaces (Aus$85 if I recall) and use them successfully for some low-end
tasks.

-Mart
Martin Hill
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]