Hi everyone,

I've had the rather enjoyable experience of my faithful Compaq laptop giving
up the ghost and I'm in the market for a replacement.

While shopping around, I thought I might try a Mac laptop for something
different, as I don't need to rely on anything PC specific.  It would also
make a pleasant replacement for the iMac g3 running OS X.

I'm basically after a simple portable PC that can be used for web browsing,
minor bit of graphic work and something that easy to hook up to a TV to play
DVD/VCD/mpeg/avi/real audio type files.

I'm tempted to go with a 12" powerbook G4 as these have a bit of extra grunt
over the iBook (and look cool) and are apparently more suited to connecting
to external monitors/TVs and watching videos -

However, would it be a better idea to go with a iBook and drop in some more
RAM and a faster hard drive and save some money, or would I notice a huge
performance increase with a Powerbook?

 I'd upgrade whatever laptop I get up to at least 512MB of RAM.

One other question - my old Compaq (m700 piii) used to get quite warm and
I'd have to put a book/table on my lap as it got quite uncomfortable - has
anyone out there had any experiences with heat and the new G4 laptops?  I
don't feel like wearing my asbestos trousers just to use a laptop.

I've tried to find some recent G4 pbook vs ibook reviews but haven't had
much luck.

Thanks for your help,

Gav