On 30 Nov 2004, at 12:36 PM, Shay Telfer wrote:

The Energy Saver preferences pane lets you choose whether you want 'higher performance' or 'reduced' processor speed, amongst other options.

I find the metal machines are somewhat warmer, possibly because metal's better at conducting heat than plastic is.

My PowerBook G4 hardly gets hot at all -- you don't suffer hot pants when it is on your knees! . The aluminium case (high thermal capacity and conductivity metal) probably helps conduct the heat away from the processor. I use standard settings in the energy saver control panel.

The fan only cuts in in hot weather automatically -- OS10 has no manual control for it.

Regards,

John Taylor