Hello Paul

I had a similar problem about 2 months ago. My partner imported lots of images into iPhoto and used up most of the spare HD space on my (then) OS10.3.5 partition.

I had quite a few warnings even though I had about 1Gb of spare space left on the partition and 1GB of RAM.

The long story should be on WAMUG archives as <Keyboard & Address Book Help Please & Help for Help> (last message 5 October, 2004).

The root of all my problems was a shortage of disk space for use by the memory manager (similar to virtual memory, pre OSX). Another poster had trouble with 'help' and directed people to an article about the issue (see archives).

If there is not enough RAM/ Virtual RAM, the computer goes into damage control and cuts out the least important parts of its processing as memory becomes scarce.

Address Book, Mail, iCal and Safari all had problems and preference files became corrupted. The only remedy in the end was to create a much larger partition and re-install OS 10.3. The problem with Address Book and the Keyboard were completely resolved by this action.

By all means phone me if you need more information.

Regards,

Greg Manzie

Phone (08) 9383 3929
Mobile 0438 833 144