In my opinion you'd be better of saving original recordings as AIFF. Once in
this format practically any decent audio editor should let you edit it how
you like. You could then archive the AIFF originals if you wanted and if not
you can import them into iTunes and have it do the AAC encoding (set in
import preferences) and then delete the originals to save space.

I liken attempting to edit a AAC file to trying to edit a word document that
had been compressed to a Stuffit file. You shouldn't do it.

All the best
Greg Sharp