G'day everyone,

SUMMARY (for everyone who just glances at WAMUG postings!):

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about how well multi-function
Printer/scanners work with Mac OS X?  Particularly the Brother models
(mainly the 410CN or the 620CN)?

My Dad is in the market and as I usually go with dedicated units for their
respective tasks for myself, I have no experience with these all-in-one
units.

DETAILS (for those interested in diving deeper!):

I've googled all over the place looking for reviews from a Mac perspective
but have only found a few articles so far and am keen to hear of any local
experiences (yes, I have scanned thru the WAMUG archives)

>From an exhausting look thru some of the many options out there a few units
look possible with the Brother so far coming out ahead of the rest as the
few reviews of the Brother's Mac software I've been able to dig up indicate
it's quite good (sounds better than the HP anyway):
http://www.brother.com/E-ftp/macosxstate.htm

- Brother 410CN
Built-in ethernet (and USB 1.1), 4 ink cartridges, card readers, fax and
flat bed colour scanning (but no auto document feeder).
<http://www.brother.com.au/Products/MFC_productoverview.asp?ProductID=169&Su
bCategoryID=1>
Anmazon Reviews:
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002UECG6/qid=1106874413/sr=
1-3/ref=sr_1_3/102-3764262-6267319?v=glance&s=electronics>
RRP: Aus$299

- Brother MFC-620CN
<http://www.brother.com.au/Products/MFC_productoverview.asp?ProductID=170&Su
bCategoryID=1>
Same features as the 410CN above but also includes, 10 sheet auto document
(ADF) feeder, speaker phone and digital answering machine(!)
Looks like Mac support is quite good
Amazon reviews (Mac):
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002UECXE/102-3764262-626731
9?v=glance>
Average review from BIOS magazine:
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002UECXE/102-3764262-626731
9?v=glance>
RRP: Aus$369

- HP 6110
USB only, ADF, flat bed scanner, fax
Reviews:
Macuser:
http://macuser.pcpro.co.uk/macuser/reviews/40028/hp-officejet-6110.html
Macintouch: (brief para 80% of way down page)
http://www.macintouch.com/printing02.html
Educ by Design (few Mac reviews one bad)
http://www.edbydesign.com/books/B00007HULQ.html
Heaps of bad reviews from Windows users on Cnet:
<http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_OfficeJet_6110/4852-3181_7-20789536.html?pn=1&fb
=2&ob=0>
RRP: Aus$399

- Epson CX4600 (older model I think)
Amazon Review from Mac user:
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002A9SL0/ref=cm_custrec_gl_
rec/102-3764262-6267319?v=glance&s=electronics>

- EPSON STYLUS PHOTO RX510
http://www.epson.com.au/products/home_and_office/photorx510.asp
I can't find any reviews of this by a Mac user
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000T3CDI/ref=pd_sbs_e_3/102
-3764262-6267319?v=glance&s=electronics>

- Lexmark 6170 not Mac compatible (though one webpage seemed to think it
is?)

- Canon MFPs not Mac compatible

Thanks for any feedback!

-Mart