On 10/02/2005, at 4:51 PM, Mark Secker wrote:

spoilt as I have been by having web space at work I am somewhat uneducated about the ways and wherefores of commercial/org domain registration. Whats the sort of cost involved in initial registration, annual renewal, support etc

what is the best company to go through to get a Australian (.com.au) and/or US domain (.com) name registered?

I will need a reasonable amount of storage (say 500MB+) for putting up pictures (both photo's and graphic) and some MP3s (my own compositions) but not expecting overly large traffic.

Also thinking about having a couple of extra domain names that would simply be redirects to my "real site" or more specifically to a URL other than the root level of the site.
So say, hypothetically:
www.marxzmusic.com would redirect to www.marksecker.com/music/downloads and www.marxzart.com redirect to www.marksecker.com/art

In my experience the US companies are still miles ahead in terms of service, cost and offering. For example I'm with midPhase www.midphase.com and this is what they have:

Unmetered bandwidth (up to 60GB if a photography/download site)
3G disk space
24x7 support -- very responsive, within 1-2 hours most of the time
Can install various PHP scripts
Cpanel etc.
Free domain name for life, etc.

All that for US$7.95 per month.

Gave me serious pause about upgrading my ADSL line to host my own websites with prices like that.

Some of the other good ones are LunarPages, Hostony etc. Google for "web host review" and look for the under $10 web hosts.

Cheers, Glen Low

---
pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff
www.pixelglow.com