On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 11:47 +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> on Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 11:43:55AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 09:32 +0800, Paul Kitchener wrote:
> > > Apple makes a mockery of such a setup: I once simply copied the OS9
> > > system folder from a B&W G3 to a G4 iBook which only had OSX and hey
> > > presto!
> > > I know OSX wouldnt do that as well, but I still think it makes "them"
> > > look bad;)
> > Frankly, if it doesn't handle that well then Apple broke BSD.
>
> Perhaps it's more like they broke Mac OS: since the system is now
> distributed over several folders (e.g. /Library, /System, /dev,
> /etc), you can't simply drag "the System Folder" any more.

Good point. Quite frankly, I was thinking in terms of disk images anyway
- moving the disk, or at least a whole filesytem, from machine to
machine.

You're quite right in that most UNIX systems require rather more than
just one directory to be copied in order to work correctly (and they
usually require the bootloader to be updated on the target machine,
too).

--
Craig Ringer