On 28/04/2005, at 12:59 PM, Rod wrote:

On 28/04/2005, at 12:48 PM, Severin Crisp wrote:

I would be interested to hear the advice from the experts on which way to go in updating to Tiger when I collect my copy at 6.01pm tomorrow.

<snip>

All depends on how mission critical your Mac is. If you want to make sure everything is hunky-dory when you install 10.4, a format of the hd and a clean install is the best way to go. If you are stuck for time (like me), archive and install. Installing over the top is a definite last resort, as I would be soooo worried if the power cut out half way through installation.

That said, I will be archiving and installing on my Powerbook. I'm going to hold off a week or two for my Powermac, as it is important for what the machine does to stay working.

At times like these, I am always grateful that OSX resides on its own partition on all my machines. Makes performing a clean install much less time consuming. There are pros and cons for partitioning drives (as I'm sure will be pointed out), but with regular updates of operating systems apparently the norm these days, and hard drive sizes ever increasing, installing the OS on a separate partition is well worth considering if you don't already do so.

Cheers, Matt

Matt Huitson
School of Psychology
University of Western Australia