On 28/04/2005, at 1:08 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

At times like these, I am always grateful that OSX resides on its own partition on all my machines. Makes performing a clean install much less time consuming. There are pros and cons for partitioning drives (as I'm sure will be pointed out), but with regular updates of operating systems apparently the norm these days, and hard drive sizes ever increasing, installing the OS on a separate partition is well worth considering if you don't already do so.

I have found this to be the best way to go. I have the following partitions set up on my Powerbook.

Master - 15GB
Clone - 15GB
Documents - The Rest

The Master partition is kept up to date with release software only. In this case, Master will be the GM version of Tiger as well as all the applications I use.

Next, I use a program called SuperDuper to create an exact copy of Master on the Clone partition. I then installed any updates to Tiger or Office that may or may not be coming out in the near to distant future to the Clone partition.

If at any time I need to roll back to a release version of my software, I simply reboot into the Master partition.

The Documents partition stores my Users folder which is both symlinked back to the Master and Clone partition as well as referenced in my NetInfo database.

That way, I always have a stable machine at my disposal. It also means I can change software around without losing data.

- Matt